01457 852 381

always on call

Mon-Sun: 24/7

365 days a year

Registering a Death

Arranging a Funeral

When someone dies, you will need to register the death in order to obtain a death certificate. Afterwards, you will be given all the necessary paperwork required to arrange the funeral.

How is this done?

† straightforward process

You should register the death within 5 days.

Contact a register office to register the death. You can contact any register office but it will be quicker if you use the one in the area where the person died.

After registering a death, you can tell all Government organisations about the death at the same time by using the Tell Us Once service.

Who should register the death?

A relative should register the death.

If a relative cannot register the death, you can do it if you:

  • were there at the time of death
  • are an administrator from the hospital (if the person died in hospital)
  • are in charge of making funeral arrangements
What do you need to do?

The register office will tell you what you need to do when you contact them.

The register office may also want to see the person’s:

  • birth certificate
  • Council Tax bill
  • driving licence
  • marriage or civil partnership certificate
  • NHS medical card
  • passport
  • proof of address (eg utility bill)

Ask the register office what to do if you do not have them.

*You’ll need to tell the registrar:

  • the person’s full name at the time of death
  • any names previously used, eg maiden name
  • the person’s date and place of birth
  • their last address
  • their occupation
  • the full name, date of birth and occupation of a surviving or late spouse or civil partner
  • whether they were getting a State Pension or any other benefits
What documents will I receive?

When you register a death, you’ll get:

  • a Certificate for Burial or Cremation (the ‘green form’) – gives permission for burial or an application for cremation
  • a Certificate of Registration of Death (form BD8) – you may need to fill this in and return it if the person was getting a State Pension or benefits (the form will come with a pre-paid envelope so you know where to send it)

You can buy extra death certificates – these will be needed for sorting out the person’s affairs.

Find Registry Office

Find Registry Office

Use this link to find your local Registry Office to register the death. You can contact any register office, but it will be quicker if you use the one in the area where the person died.

Search Local Offices

The closest Registry Office to Arthur Worsley Funeral Services is:

Glossop's Registry Office

Municipal Buildings, Market Place, Glossop, SK13 8AF


Pin It on Pinterest

Share This